We are here to help you. Our advice is independent, free, confidential and impartial.
- It is important for you to know that your affairs will be treated in total confidence and no one will be contacted, or any information given about you, without your permission.
- We will help you to get an accurate picture of the money you owe and your income. We must know all you income and outgoings, even payments you are not behind with. This will allow us to show your creditors that any offers made to them are realistic.
- We will check if you are liable for all of your debts and if you are receiving all the benefits and tax credits due to you.
- We will aim to deal with any emergencies e.g. COURT ACTION or EVICTION straight away.
- We will discuss with you the payments that you should make as a priority. These may include your rent or mortgage payments, other secured loans, council tax, court fines or court orders.
- We will not tell you what to do but we will explain the options available to you and help you to decide. However, it may be necessary to negotiate payments that you can afford and it is important that we obtain a full and accurate picture of your current situation.
- While we are acting on your behalf it is important that you inform us of any developments, especially any that refer to court action, bailiffs or bankruptcy.
- It is also important that you inform us of any changes in your financial situation. If you take out further credit while CAB is helping you with your financial difficulties, this may jeopardise negotiations with your creditors.
- When your finances are under control we will help you to deal with creditors yourself.
If there is anything you don’t understand – please ask