Planning a budget and saving money in your bills is a way in which you can increase your disposable income and give you more options to plan and save for your future.
Our teams can help you search for a cheaper energy supplier, apply for any payments and grants than can help to reduce your costs as well as
Using the links below you can find more information and tips for small changes which can make big savings!
- Can you cut down your mortgage costs
- Can you reduce your rent costs? This includes help from Allerdale Borough Council’s Discretionary Housing Payment scheme
- Are you able to access help with your council tax bill that could either reduce the bill or help you to pay this? You can also get information on Council Tax Reduction from Allerdale Borough Council
- You can ask your local authority to spread the cost of your council tax over 12 months instead of 10
- Are you paying the best rate for your energy? Could you claim any grants or discounts?
- Can you use less energy or make your home more energy efficient? The Energy Saving Trust also has lots of information and tips.
- Are you entitled to receive extra support from your energy supplier?
- Check to see if you can save money changing to a water meter. Also check for other ways of reducing your water costs
- Shop around for the best insurance deals for all of your insurance; including your house (building and contents), life, car, travel and health
If you have a change of circumstances such as a new health condition or you move house you should check your life and health insurances to make sure they still provide adequate cover.
Broadband, tv and phones
- Consider whether you can switch your telephone, TV, internet or mobile provider for a better deal? There’s information on the money saving expert website too
- See whether you can get help with health costs; like prescription costs, dental treatments and sight tests
- Check if you can get free vouchers every week to spend on milk, formula, fresh or frozen fruit and vegetables
Using budgeting tools, planners and guides, including calculators can help you plan for life changes, such as saving, planning for a baby or retirement, or planning for Christmas. Examples include: